Bing Ads VS Google Ads – Which One is Better for your Business
Are Bing Ads or Microsoft Ads better than Google Ads? Does Bing Ads work? Should I invest in advertising on both platforms? Or should I only choose one? I’m sure Google Ads sounds more than familiar to you, but what if you consider advertising on Microsoft’s search engine to achieve your business goals? Keep reading to know more! Bing Ads VS Google Ads!
Bing Ads is not an alternative to Google Ads! By running ads in four search engines simultaneously, advertisers can double the impact of their campaigns. Yes! You read that right! Your ads will be displayed in two placements (Microsoft Bing and Google). Keep reading to find out how you can take advantage of Microsoft’s partnerships to maximize your ad reach.
What will you learn today? The pros & cons of both platforms, how to save time when creating and managing your Google Ads & Bing Ads, and finally, the best ready-to-apply practices to optimize your performance.
Advertising on Google Ads or Bing Ads: pros & cons
Which platform deserves your investment? Every platform has its own advantages and disadvantages. The best strategists should make use of more than one platform to compensate for each platform’s weaknesses.
✅Google Chrome is the most popular browser with 3 billion active users.
✅Run your ads across the Google Network
✅You need a Google Ads account to start advertising in Youtube
🚩Keywords are highly competitive
➡️Bing Ads or Microsoft Advertising
✅Microsoft Bing reaches 330 million active users
✅Alexa and Amazon Kindle Fire use Bing ads as their default search engine
✅According to Statista, “Microsoft’s Windows is the most widely used computer operating system in the world, accounting for 69.61 percent share of the desktop, tablet, and console OS market in December 2021”
✅Microsoft Advertising’s recent study shows that 62% of users regularly research or purchase products and services during their worktime
✅Keywords are less competitive than Google Ads
🚩Traffic mainly comes from USA, China, Germany, and Japan
🚩Less search volume than Google
So, depending on your budget, we recommend you to use both platforms. To make sure your strategy is optimized, consider the following tips in the next point.
Best practices for boost performance with Google Ads & Bing Ads
Now it’s time to take advantage of the green flags and turn the red ones into opportunities. Listed below is a winning strategy to make both Google Ads and Microsoft Ads successful for your business.
➡️Split your budget by device
Show your ads across four search engines. Athough Google is the leading platform, there is a considerable amount of active users using Microsoft Bing. Microsoft Advertising partners with AOL and Yahoo! So your ads will be displayed in the three search engines.
💡Google Ads for desktop and mobile devices. According to Statista, 95% of organic mobile search visits come from Google, while only 1.6% come from Bing.
💡Bing Ads for desktop. Keep in mind that Bing gets more than 1 billion visits daily. This is a huge audience for you to target!
➡️Customize location targeting
Microsoft Bing’s audience is mainly from the US, accounting for 85% of its total users. How can you use this data for your strategy? Adapt your audience location targeting depending on each platform’s location usage.
💡Google Ads Audience targeting.
- Do you own an international business? Google ads let you reach a high-converting audience in more countries.
- Ready to launch your Youtube Ads? With Google Ads Reach Planner tool, it’s possible to create and compare different combinations of campaign types and get detailed reach, demographics, and device insights.
💡Bing Ads Audience targeting.
- If you are importing your Google Ads campaigns into Microsoft Ads, make sure your location targeting doesn’t expand worldwide, and only includes “People in my targeted area”.
- Video ads are now piloting on the Microsoft Audience Network in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., France, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand.
➡️Don’t miss these KPIs to achieve your target ROAS
Google Ads vs Bing Ads, right? Which is the winner when talking about ROAS? Bing Ads may reach a lower volume, but it allows you to target a specific audience for a lower budget and greater return on investment. The following three metrics are indicators of this success.
- Click through rate. Bing has a higher click-through rate than Google. The average CTR of Google Ads is 1.91%, while for Bing, it’s 2.83%
- Conversion rate. Over 70% of those using the Bing search engine are older than 35. This results in a better ad engagement and improves the conversion rate.
- Cost per click. How much do Bing Ads cost? Bing Ads have an average cost per click of 1.42 euros, which is 33% less than Google Ads.
➡️Check your keywords and improve ad quality
The first thing you should know is that Bing and Google’s algorithms differ. Therefore, each platform requires a different keyword research process.
💡When evaluating ad quality, Google Ads takes keywords into consideration. So avoid repeating your keywords.
💡For Bing Ads, keywords are less important in terms of quality score. Bing Ads focus on the expected click-through rate, the relevance of the ad, and the landing page. Anyway, if you import your Google Ads campaigns into Bing, do not forget to adjust your keywords.
Busy marketer? Doing two keyword researches involves a lot of time. Save time by using Clever Ads Keyword planner and upload your keywords lists directly to your advertising platforms.
➡️Add ad extensions to make your ads more attractive
With ad extensions, you give the user more reasons to click on your ad and choose your company over others. Ad extensions also help with increasing your CTR and ROI. Google Ads and Bing Ads offer very similar types of ad extensions, such as call, price and location ad extensions. So, which are unique to each platform?
- Lead form extension: Uses a 10-question form to collect information about your potential customers
- Affiliate location extension: It’s the perfect extension to sell your products across retail chains, since you can include a link to your store and a link to a retailer affiliate
- Action extension: Put a call-to-action button on your ads
- Flyer extension: Include your product store catalogs
- Video extension: Microsoft Advertising now offers video extensions. They appear as a small image with a play button. The video has a button to drive traffic to your landing page.
How to manage Bing Ads & Google Ads
➡️First, import campaigns directly from Google Ads
If your Google Ads campaigns are already live, you only need to import into the Bing ads dashboard. Here’s the manual import method.
- Choose “Import from Google Ads” in the top menu.
- Click “Sign in to Google” and follow the instructions to give Microsoft Advertising permission to import campaigns from your Google Ads account.
- Select the account that you wish to import from in Google Ads, and click the “Next” button.
- Go to Advanced import if you want to adjust bids, bid strategies, and budgets, as well as associate UET tags.
➡️Create your campaigns: Clever Ads Campaign creator
Want to simplify the process of Google Ads & Bing Ads campaign creation?
Choose an automated setup of your campaigns with Clever Ads Campaign creator.