How to Sell Clothes Online – Set your Store & Sell!
Welcome to a new article on how to sell clothes online! In an increasingly digitized world, eCommerce and digital marketing have become fundamental tools for any business that wants to succeed in the online arena. In this post we will show you how to create your own online clothing store and sell your products online.
Step 1: find your niche
Before creating your online clothing store, it is important that you find your niche. A niche is a target audience that you will address depending on the specific category of products you focus on. This will help you differentiate yourself from the competition and attract a more specific audience.
One way to find your niche is through keyword research. This will allow you to discover what users are searching for when they want to buy clothes online. By using tools like Google’s Keyword Planner, you will be able to see which clothing-related keywords have the most searches. Some examples could be “sportswear for women”, “fashion clothing for young people” or “baby bedding”.
- Clever tip: don’t stick to this tool alone, try different tools to get better (and broader) results! Try different keyword planners and make a keyword excel, it will make your work much easier.
Step 2: Invest time and resources
Once you have found your niche, it’s time to invest time and resources in the creation of your online store. It’s not something you do once and then magically start generating sales automatically. There will always be something you can do to generate more sales, and you will always have to keep an eye on your SEO, campaigns, social media and customer service. Having a business (whether online or physical) involves a commitment, so make sure you understand that before you embark on the eCommerce adventure.
What do you have to take into account?
When setting up your online clothing store, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- One of them is dropshipping, a way of selling products without having to store them.
- Another thing to consider is taxes and duties, which may vary depending on the country you are in.
- In addition, you will have to pay attention to the design of your website, your marketing strategy (including Google Ads, Microsoft Ads and Social Ads), customer service and social media management.
For all these reasons it is not a bad idea to hire extra help if you think you will need it, especially when it comes, perhaps, to solve technical problems.
Step 3: Choose your platform and create your online clothing store
There are several well-known platforms worldwide that you should consider using to create your online clothing store, such as Shopify, PrestaShop, BigCommerce or WooCommerce. When choosing a platform, you should consider the technology they use, the security they offer, flexibility, localization, integration and, of course, price.
- Technology: What is the database and programming language of the platform?
- Security: How often is the software updated? Level of vulnerability?
- Flexibility: Is it possible to create complex sites, with multiple categories or highly customized templates?
- Localization: Is it possible to create several stores with a single inventory? Does it support multiple languages and currencies?
- Integration: Is integration with other platforms such as ERP possible? Can the platform be extended with plugins? Is it scalable?
Step 4: Design or search for your products
Once you have chosen your platform, it’s time to design or search for the products you want to sell (keep in mind the niche you have previously chosen!). If you want to create your own clothing brand, you will have to choose suppliers, design the logo, label the products and create an attractive design. If you prefer not to create your own brand, you can look for suppliers that offer quality products that fit your niche (remember we mentioned dropshipping earlier? 😉 ).
Step 5: Promote and sell!
Finally, it’s time to promote and sell your products. A good marketing strategy is key to attract customers to your online clothing store. You can use Google Ads, Microsoft Ads and Social Ads to reach your target audience. You also need to have a good marketing calendar that includes seasonalities (seasonal dates), to plan your promotions and special offers.
How much money do I need to create an online clothing store?
The cost to create an online clothing store can vary depending on the platform you choose and the resources you need to design, promote and maintain your store. For example, if you decide to use a free platform like WooCommerce, your expenses will obviously be much lower than if you opt for a paid platform like Shopify. However, you should keep in mind that paid platforms often offer more advanced features and tools than free ones, and this may pay off in the long run. In addition, you should also consider the costs of clothing suppliers and shipping costs, since these may vary depending on the quality and quantity of the products you sell or the area from which you ship.
How can I differentiate myself from the competition?
To differentiate yourself from the competition in the online clothing sales market, as we have already recommended, you should focus on finding your niche and creating a unique and memorable brand. This means that you should research what your competitors are doing and try to offer something different or better than them. For example, if your competitors offer mid-quality clothing at affordable prices, you could focus on offering high-quality clothing at premium prices. In addition, you can also differentiate yourself by offering an exceptional shopping experience, providing excellent customer service and creating a brand according to your niche and personal preferences.
What is the best marketing strategy to sell clothes online?
The best marketing strategy to sell clothing online will depend on your product and your target audience. Some effective strategies may include advertising on social media, collaborating with influencers in your industry, creating promotions and discounts for your loyal customers, and a strong social media presence. For example, if your target audience is primarily young and on Instagram, advertising on Instagram and engaging with influencers on Instagram can be very effective for your business. However, the most important thing is that you develop a coherent marketing strategy and that you constantly adapt it to the needs of your business and your audience.
Additional tips and some interesting facts:
And now some data (very encouraging, by the way), about the online clothing sales sector…
- The growth of the sector will slow down in the coming years, with increases of 5.3% in 2022, 3.2% in 2023, 2.3% in 2024 and 1.9% in 2025, according to Euromonitor forecasts, which include clothing and footwear.
- 2020 – USA – The eCommerce fashion sector accounted for 29.5% of fashion retail sales.
- Lockdown (March 2020) – 27% of US consumers said they planned to spend “some” or “less” than before the arrival of Covid, but the reality is that brands like Zalando reported growth of 32%-34% .
- European consumers (each) expected to spend $921 on fashion-related items over the course of a year.
- The footwear sector will go from 365,500 million dollars in 2022 to 530,300 million in 2027.
In short, starting an online clothing store can be an exciting and profitable opportunity if done with care and planning. From finding your niche to choosing the right platform, investing in resources, and promoting your brand, there are many factors to consider. The most important thing is to focus on the quality of your products and on providing excellent customer service to build customer loyalty and grow your business in the long term. Remember, the key to success is finding a balance between creativity and strategy to differentiate yourself from the competition and connect with your customers. Good luck on your adventure in the world of clothing eCommerce!